The Middle School Matters Institute is pleased to be partnering with the Texas Association of Secondary School Principals (TASSP) to host the Making Middle School Matter Workshop on January 26-28, 2017 in Austin, TX. The workshop is open to all middle grades administrators and educators and will focus on research-proven practices that can be implemented school-wide. Modeled after past MSMI Summer Conferences, the workshop will feature a range of keynotes, breakout sessions, and interactive speed learning sessions. Unlike other professional development events or conferences, we draw content solely from high-quality research and translate that research into practical knowledge bites so that practices and strategies can be replicated in schools and classrooms. We also provide hands-on demonstrations of research-based practices and provide you with the necessary resources so you can engage in immediate implementation. Designated networking and planning areas will also be provided.
Inside the Making Middle School Matter Workshop
KEYNOTES AND BREAKOUT SESSIONS
Participants will learn:
- How to become savvy consumers of research and why true research-based practices really do matter.
- Why the middle grades are so crucial to putting students on a path to high school graduation.
- How to use early-warning indicator data to identify students who are falling off the path to high school graduation.
- How to implement strategies that help students monitor their reading comprehension in ELA, science, and social studies.
- How to enhance student learning through various writing strategies in all content areas.
- How to deepen students’ understanding of key mathematical concepts and increase mathematical fluency.
- How to organize school-wide data teams and hold effective data meetings.
- Why retrieval practice is necessary for content learning.
- How to promote positive student behaviors and enhance student motivation.
- How to measure, monitor, and manage data that really matter.
Highly interactive and informal sessions designed to spark new ideas and connect you with the resources you need! Consult with our presenters, expert practitioners, and nationally known researchers; view live demonstrations; and gather research-based lesson materials and school improvement resources that will boost your students’ performance. Visit as many sessions as you like and walk away with fresh ideas that you can implement immediately.
COLLABORATION BETWEEN PRESENTERS AND PRACTITIONERS
Presenters include national education experts and researchers from Arcadia University, eMetric, LLC, Johns Hopkins University, the University of Iowa’s Reading Research Center, Talent Development Secondary, The University of Texas, and the University of Colorado Boulder. In addition, expert practitioners from around Texas will be on hand to showcase how they’ve put these practices into place! These experts, and staff from the Middle School Matters Institute and the George W. Bush Institute, will be on hand to answer your questions and help you develop plans that meet your needs.
NETWORKING AND PLANNING
Designated areas for networking with other participants or engaging in team planning will be available. Middle School Matters staff will also be on hand to help you assess your current practices, set tangible goals, and develop detailed action steps that will help you finish your year strong. Participants will also be available to sign up for “Speed Coaching” with our staff.
Our partner, TASSP, will facilitate conference registration and the hotel room block. A huge thanks for their efforts!
- Dates and Times: January 26-28, 2017 (Begins at 1:00 on Jan. 26; Concludes at 11:30 on Jan. 28)
- Conference Location: Hilton Austin Airport Hotel (Austin, TX)
- Registration Fee: $225 until January 13th, $275 after January 13th (Includes breakfast and lunch on Jan. 27). Cancellation fee after registering is $50
- Click here to Register (you will need to create an account on the TASSP website to register for this event)
NOTE: For hotel reservations, the Austin Airport Hilton is full. However, the overflow hotel is the Hampton Inn Austin Airport (less than 3-miles away from the Austin Airport Hilton with shuttle service available). To book room reservations, please contact the Hampton Inn Austin Airport at 512-389-1616 Address: 7712 E Riverside Dr, Austin, TX 78744 Reference the TASSP Making Middle School Matter Workshop and receive the government per diem rate for Jan 26 & 27. Shuttle service is available.
Questions About Conference Registration or Hotel Rooms? Contact TASSP Associate Executive Director, Brent Jaco, or Ofra Levinson at 512-443-2100.
Questions About Conference Content and Sessions? Contact MSM Assistant Director, David Barrett, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-232-5579.
We look forward to seeing you in Austin, Texas!